Skip to main content

Maniac? You decide

"She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before"

Sometimes I wonder why I was called to education. Other times I bask in the excitement of learning and growing. This is one of those times. I can't say it enough: I. Love. Learning. I call it life-long learning, others call it a maniac.

A maniac is an "overly zealous or enthusiastic person". Let me tell you, being a new assistant principal, is definitely the perfect picture of a maniac. And, on this Monday after a break, I have become the epitome of a maniac.

Last week, I got a phone call that I needed to help out at another site. As an employee of a big district, this is a normal thing, we're all a big team for sure. So, no big deal. One small change never hurt anyone right? Except, this wasn't a small change, it was a big one. I was going to the building where all the ninth graders live. That's right, going from the land of elementary to the land of secondary. After letting that sink in for a millisecond...let me tell you, I freaked out. I mean, I just got to the point where I could talk to Kindergartners without making them cry! I almost called the bosses and said "nope, not ready for that drastic of a change" But 2 things stopped me:

1-My Husband (we call him Sir RofN because, well he's my knight in shining armor and he is an RN so he can literally save lives). He decided to be all wise and smart and said "but you love adventures and learning new things, so why not??" and 2-I had to admit he was right. He knows me, after 4-ish years of marriage, he knows exactly who I am as a human, a life-long learner. 

In education, we throw that term around a lot:  life-long learner. We basically mean "learn to always question and be curious". And I can count on all the fingers and toes in the world the times I've encouraged my students to embrace the learning. Learning does not always happen in the textbook or on the Google. Learning is the exploration of new and exciting things. So...I am starting a small shift in my new adventure, ready to learn and grow in new ways of leadership. And, being a life-long learner means doing it enthusiastically!  or, as some would say: as a maniac.


Comments