Skip to main content

The 'so glad you're here today' stiff arm

This season is just the worst. This season creates havoc on work schedules, school schedules, workout schedules and eating habits. It continues to swiftly change lives, sometimes even in the blink of an eye. People are constantly repeating themselves, over and over again, doing repetitive motions with their hands and are stuck in bed for days at a time. There's just something about this season that drives people to absolute madness. Does it do it to you as well? You know what I'm talking about right? I'm talking about cold and flu season.


Talk about a rough go at it this year. And hopefully we're almost through, but let me tell you: this cold and flu season sucks! (Sorry Mom, I'll put $5 in the jar) As an administrator, you organize, plan and execute to the best of your ability. You make sure to have a plan A all the way through plan Z, just in case. But literally, this flu season took Plans A-Z and said "haha, take that you crazy humans!"

It all started just fine, with a nice 3 day weekend to celebrate MLK Day. Who doesn't love a 3 days weekend?? But then, like an avalanche, the cold and flu season swept through our school. By the end of the first week, we had over 22% of our student population out. Then it passed through our staff.  At one point we had all those kids out, and almost 40% of our staff as well!  It was unbelievable.

I learned 2 major new things during this season:

1. Wear comfy shoes. When your staff is out, there is no one to do lunch duty, recess, take students from one spot to another. As an admin, we fill in. Whatever it takes. Serving my staff is a blessing, but I will tell you one thing: When all the lines on the phone were lit up and a kid was bringing a trashcan of throw up to the nurse, I might have hid under the front desk for a couple minutes.

2. The "so glad you're hear today" stiff arm. My day always starts at the front door greeting the students. And of course many of them want sweet hugs from their AP. But they learned quickly, that this season, it was a high five at best. One girl came running right at me to hug me (like she does every morning). She stopped in her tracks and sneezed, and here came the snot. But let me tell you, that didn't stop her! She kept running straight towards my dress-pants. I quickly put my hand out and patted her on the back as I encouraged her to stop in the main office and get a Kleenex (you're welcome whoever was working the desk at that time...haha!). Thank goodness for the "so glad you're hear today" stiff arm.

On a personal note:  I have prayed consistently for basically every human I know. This cold and flu season has just been awful. I hope and pray that as you read this, it is not from the fetal position or from a tower of a million tissues.

Keep washing those hands, and stiff arms all around!!


Comments