Skip to main content

Michael Scott as an Assistant Principal.

I'm reminded tonight that Michael Scott can sure relate to the flow in and out of my office recently. I think that's why I still love going to work everyday, it reminds me that although the job we do is stressful, difficult and tiresome, it has a lot of hilarity and randomness.

Just look at all the random things that Michael Scott-isms can explain:


This happens to me on a daily basis. Whether it's trying to convince a student that grades are important, or completely reprimanding them for drama...I get tongue tied pretty frequently. Just the other day I was talking with some girls and I started a sentence, and ended it with... "I don't even know what I'm trying to say..." hehe, luckily the girls were already terrified to be in the office in the first place...


Special treatment is the underlying theme of many conversations I have. Whether it's someone begging to be let in the back door to pick up their student or a student begging to have the special privilege to sign up to clean the cafeteria after lunch, I crack up laughing every time Michael Scott reminds me of the foot he cooked in a George Foreman grill.


I tell you what, my mind is in a constant state of awareness from the moment I step on campus, to the moment I leave using problem solving from one moment to the next. It really is crazy. What I'm learning though is that I have to be quick with my decisions. Not so quick that I make decisions that don't make sense, but not so slow that I am overwhelmed with the situation for the majority of my day. It's a fine balance, and my poor brain just has to come home and listen to Michael Scott and laugh.


I just have 2 things to say about this: 1-Keep your kids safe online and 2-Kids are awesome storytellers, so put away the technology at home for a bit and listen to them tell you about their days! hilarious.


I'll admit, working with tiny humans sure can be challenging. All different personality types exist in my building and I can only do so much to make sure everyone is safe. But I still come across times everyday where I have no idea what I'm doing. Whether it's talking to a mom who doesn't understand why I'm calling, or a crying little one that is so upset they can't even tell me why they are crying...I just always put the best interest of the student and the safety of all in the building first. But sometimes, that means I have no idea what the right answer is. But, I show up. I try, and at night I laugh with Michael Scott (or at him, whichever way you want to look at it).

This is why I love my job. And Michael Scott. 





Comments